Author Topic: Block Hack IPs  (Read 369 times)

NG Ads

Block Hack IPs
« on: August 07, 2017, 06:58:18 AM »
have had a couple site owners ask me about block hack ip's in general

their question is that it not working and is their a file that needs a write permission like 777 or 666 for it to work.

posted here as it would benefit a lot of admins if their ever have this issue

Reba

Re: Block Hack IPs
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 11:37:30 PM »
Hi, thanks for posting here.

To clarify this feature does not block broken URLs, a person who types in view=clck rather than view=click is not going to be blocked, instead they'll see a blank page inside your general template. This feature is designed to block the IP addresses of visitors with malicious intent, not users making mistakes.

Is the email notification of a hack attempt being received? If the setting is enabled then the email will be sent regardless of if the IP has been blocked.

Yes, to block an IP address automatically you will need the permission set to 666 on the .htaccess file in your root folder. If you do not have a .htaccess file, create one (leaving it blank is fine) and set the permission to 666.

I just blocked myself on your Basic site however your htaccess file is set to read, not write, so I was not actually blocked but you should have received an email telling you my IP (107.14 :-X) and the view variable if your email settings are correct.

NG Ads

Re: Block Hack IPs
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 01:31:02 AM »
Hi Reba

Thanks for reply

yes they told me they get email so it's set correct

and i did say to them that .htaccess had to have write permission was just validating what i told them

hopefully this will help other admins if they have same problem well it's not really a problem it's more checking to make sure that file is writable.

and yes i probably should check my site's now lol